$3.50 Coffee

A little experiment.

I made this a while ago and left it pinned to the studio wall. I remember being very influenced by James Joyce's Ulysses, and the way he would use a collagic, experimental form.

Another influence was comic books, and how several images (along with text and sound effects) were juxtaposed in space to tell the story.

















While working on some paintings the other day, I looked over at it and found what I was doing now was still informed by those earlier thoughts. Some considerations I made:

  • The materiality - ripped edge, loose canvas, variety of media
  • Creating meaning with fragments, juxtapositions, layering
  • Combining different types of representation, pattern
  • Mark-making using a variety of means, including staples, letrasets, markers, tape, as well as traditional paints etc.

0 comments: