Feeding Time

Here is a new mixed-media painting I finished the other day. The subject matter grew organically from a freestyle drawing of a boy with an axe. As I continued to add to the drawing, a commentary about the world's resources evolved.

This painting started last year, where I was experimenting with layering as a device. Comics are an early passion, and I was interested in how frames divide the page space and create new meanings in time, space and narrative.


Feeding Time
Oil, marker, acrylic, pen, biro, colored pencil, oil pastel on canvas
40 x 60 cm


Here is the first version of the painting. It had a lot of things happening that I found interesting to build on, but I didn't know where to go. Opening myself to materials and letting go of fears really helped me progress through this picture.


0 comments: